*** It’s a great day to learn about the home buying process. See you there! ***
UPDATE #3: There are still 8 spots left, so you may claim a spot by arriving early with exact cash. Also, there are usually 2 no-shows for this event, so you just might be able to join us. Make sure to come early with exact cash. Tickets are $15 each at the “door.”
UPDATE #2: The early-bird price has ended and the ticket price is now $15. I look forward to seeing you there!
UPDATE #1: There are fewer than 10 early bird spots left and the price will increase from $10 to $15 when the early bird spots are gone or by Sun. Apr. 15th (whichever comes first). To be fair to those who want to join in and are ready to make payment, I’ll be removing those that haven’t paid by Sun. Apr. 8th. Make payment to lock in the early bird price and your spot (see the “Payment” section of the event posting). If you’ve already made payment, the PayPal email you received is confirmation that we’ve received your payment (no need to message me asking for ticket confirmation). This UPDATE has been emailed to the yes RSVPs. I hope to see you there!
Thinking of buying a home now or sometime in the future?
Let’s get together and learn all about the ins and outs of the home buying process. I have recruited a great team of professionals to help us learn all we need to know.
- Pia Taylor (Realtor with Long & Foster) has been living in Northern Virginia for more than 25 years. She is able to draw on her experiences in marketing, communications and technology to help bring buyers and sellers together. With a passion for real estate and extensive knowledge of the local neighborhoods, she is dedicated to providing exceptional personalized service and to developing relationships with her clients that last a lifetime.
- Jody Eichenblatt (Senior Mortgage Consultant with Prosperity Home Mortgage) has over 14 years experience in the industry. He has received the President’s Club Award and recognized as one of the top 1% Mortgage Originators in America (2014).
- Helen Krause (Director with New World Title) has over 10 years experience in the title business. Named affiliate of the year by the Northern Virginia Association of Realtors, she has earned her title insurance license and has conducted hundreds of settlements.
Join us for this informative and interactive seminar as we learn about the following topics:
- Rent vs. Buy – How do we know we are ready to buy?
- Financing – How can we improve our credit score? How do we get pre-qualified? What approval documents do we need? How much do we need to put down? What are the differences between FHA, VA, and conventional loans? What are mortgage insurance premiums?
- The Market in the DC Metro Area
- Choosing an Agent – How do we choose one?
- Neighborhoods, Schools, Public Transportation, Lifestyle – How do we search for a home?
- Apartments, Townhouse / Rowhouse, Single Family Home – How do we evaluate a home?
- Condo vs. Fee Simple
- The Process From Contract Ratification to Settlement Inspections – How do we make an offer?
- Home Warranty
- Closing Costs
The seminar will go from 4 – 6pm, with a Question & Answer session at the end and swag item giveaways. After that, we are free to network with Pia, Jody, Helen, and other members in our group.
We’ll have Sugar Shack donuts to snack on, and water, coffee, soda, diet soda to drink (no alcohol)!
We’ve got an early bird special for this event of $10 (the price of a cocktail at most clubs / lounges)! The first 35 paid sign-ups, or those who pay by Sun. Apr. 15th (whichever comes first) get the early bird price! After that, the ticket price will go to $15. We have a LIMITED number of spots so make sure to RSVP early AND make payment to secure your spot and get the early bird price! To make payment, please follow the steps in the Payment section of the event posting.
Come join us, tell a friend, connect with others, and learn the all about home buying. I hope to see you there for this important and very helpful seminar!
METRO & PARKING
The closest Metro is King Street Station (Blue & Yellow, lines), about a 15 – 20 minute walk. I suggest Metro / cabbing / Uber’ing if you can. I also recommend using wmata.com for travel planning. Don’t forget to account for Metro, traffic, and parking delays. If you are driving, you will need to find street parking or a garage. I recommend using parkopedia.com for garage parking planning.
PayPal account not required. Please follow the steps below (if payment by smartphone doesn’t work, please try your computer). Your RSVP is not guaranteed without payment, and your email receipt is confirmation that we have received your payment (please check your spam folder and email settings). You can also log into your PayPal or credit card account online to verify payment. Payment at the door will be permitted only should the event not sell out. Our events do sell out, so I recommend you secure your spot online early. If you make payment for less than the current ticketed price displayed without prior correspondence, your RSVP will be removed.
- Select “Yes” under “Are you going?” (or select “Change” RSVP to add more guests if you’ve already purchased ticket(s))
- Enter the number of guests coming and click “Finish RSVP”
- Click “Pay Now” (or “Pay Online Now”) at the top of the event posting near the ticket price per person
- Verify correct dollar amount for number of people you’re paying for. Modify if appropriate, click “Pay Now” or “Check Out” button
- If you don’t have a PayPal account, click “Pay with a Debit or Credit Card”
- If you have a PayPal account, simply log in, and pay as you normally would via PayPal
Please be on time. If you are late (arrive after the start time of 4pm, you risk the possibility of not being able to join us for the event. I will have a master list of all those that have paid. It’s not required, but I recommend printing out your payment confirmation email as a backup (if you are not on the list, you will be required to show it). When you check-in, your RSVP will be listed under the name of the PayPal or credit card account used to make payment. Typically, this is your LEGAL name as shown on your driver’s license. Sometimes, it may be under a company name if you set up your PayPal or credit card account that way. If you are not sure what it is, please log into your PayPal account (it will say “Welcome, [your account name]” at the top) or your credit card account to find out. If you are RSVP’d under someone else’s payment, please use that name for check-in.
Since this event is paid for in advance, all sales are final unless the event is canceled or rescheduled. If the event is canceled or rescheduled, an UPDATE will be posted at the top of the event posting, and the UPDATE will also be sent as an email to the yes RSVPs. A full refund will be submitted no later than Wednesday of the following week. For rescheduled events, you must let me know within 3 calendar days of the UPDATE email if you are unable to make the new date… no refunds will be given after that time. Thanks for understanding. =)
TICKET RESELL / TRANSFER
Similar to a concert ticket or a football game ticket, you are free to sell / transfer your ticket to someone else if you are unable to attend. I suggest posting in the comment box for the event, that you have a ticket for sale / transfer. Work out any payment between yourselves, and have the seller only send me (the organizer) a message through my Meetup profile (do not comment in the comment box of the event posting) letting me know the first AND last name, and Meetup profile URL (if a member) of the person taking your spot (please also copy them on the message). To obtain their Meetup profile URL, go to their profile from the mobile website or your computer (not the app), and copy & paste the URL from your browser. I host a lot of events and groups, so please let me know the event name and group name the ticket transfer is for. You must let me know by the RSVP close time of 1pm on the day of the event.
Should inclement weather (e.g. snow storm, hurricane, etc.) affect our event, we’ll need to reschedule or cancel. If any one of the following is not available for service due to inclement weather, we’ll need to do so: Metrorail is not running to all stops; Uber (X, SUV, etc.) is not running or available at no more than 2x standard rates; venue(s) are not open. I’ll post an UPDATE to the top of the event posting by 1:30pm on the day of our event with the details.
If you have any special needs (e.g. wheelchair, dietary for events with food included, etc.), let me know in advance (a week or more before the event) and I will do my best to accommodate (message me through my Meetup profile, do NOT comment on the event posting). If you let me know the day of the event, I cannot guarantee that I will be able to help. Thank you for understanding and I appreciate the courtesy of a heads up!
Due to challenges in the past, please do not bring children / babies to this event.