Thinking of buying a home now or sometime in the future?
Let’s get together and learn all about the ins and outs of the home buying process. I have recruited a great team of professionals to help us learn all we need to know.
- Brittanie DeChino (realtor with TTR Sotheby’s International Realty) has been living in the Washington DC area for more than 12 years. She is able to draw on her experiences in business, legal, and communication to help bring buyers and sellers together. With a passion for real estate and extensive knowledge of the local neighborhoods, she is dedicated to providing exceptional personalized service and to developing relationships with her clients that last a lifetime.
- Jody Eichenblatt (Senior Mortgage Consultant with Prosperity Home Mortgage) has over 15 years experience in the industry. He has received the President’s Club Award and recognized as one of the top 1% Mortgage Originators in America.
- Helen Krause (Director with New World Title) has over 10 years experience in the title business. Named affiliate of the year by the Northern Virginia Association of Realtors, she has earned her title insurance license and has conducted hundreds of settlements.
Join us for this informative and interactive seminar as we learn about the following topics:
- Rent vs. Buy – How do we know we are ready to buy?
- Financing – How can we improve our credit score? How do we get pre-qualified? What approval documents do we need? How much do we need to put down? What are the differences between FHA, VA, and conventional loans? What are mortgage insurance premiums?
- The Market in the DC Metro Area
- Choosing an Agent – How do we choose one?
- Neighborhoods, Schools, Public Transportation, Lifestyle – How do we search for a home?
- Apartments, Townhouse / Rowhouse, Single Family Home – How do we evaluate a home?
- Condo vs. Fee Simple
- The Process From Contract Ratification to Settlement Inspections – How do we make an offer?
- Home Warranty
- Closing Costs
The seminar will go from 4 – 6pm, with a Question & Answer session at the end and swag item giveaways. After that, we are free to network with Brittanie, Jody, Helen, and other members in our group.
We’ll have Sugar Shack donuts to snack on, and water, coffee, soda, diet soda to drink (no alcohol)!
We’ve got an early bird special for this event of $10 (the price of a cocktail at most clubs / lounges)! The first 30 paid sign-ups, or those who pay by by Sun. Jan. 20th (whichever comes first) get the early bird price! After that, the ticket price will go to $15. We have a LIMITED number of spots so make sure to RSVP early AND make payment to secure your spot and get the early bird price! To make payment, please follow the steps in the “Payment” section of the event posting.
Come join us, tell a friend, connect with others, and learn the all about home buying. I hope to see you there for this important and very helpful seminar!
NOTE: I’ve been getting the following question often lately: “Are you affiliated with Mer and his Guys & Girls (20s & 30s) Going Out Group?” No. I’ve never met or spoken with Mer. My group is the original “20s & 30s Going Out Group” and has always been called that, well before his group existed. HIS group was originally called Guys & Girls Night Out. He then changed his group’s name to Guys & Girls Going Out Group, and then again changed it to Guys & Girls (20s & 30s) Going Out Group. We run our groups and events separate and apart from each other; the groups are not associated with one another in any way. I also run the 30s & 40s Going Out Group, Global Travelers Going Out Group, and the eWheel Going Out Group, all of which are also not associated with any of Mer’s groups. Lastly, with the exception of my international trips, none of my events are “joint” events where multiple (often non-associated) groups are invited to the same event.
METRO & PARKING
The closest Metro is McLean, about a 2.5 mile Uber ride. I suggest Metro / cabbing / Uber’ing if you can. I also recommend using wmata.com for travel planning. Don’t forget to account for Metro, traffic, and parking delays. If you are driving, you will need to find street parking or a garage. I recommend using parkopedia.com for garage parking planning.
PayPal account not required. Please follow the steps below (if payment by smartphone doesn’t work, please try your computer). Your RSVP is not guaranteed without payment, and your email receipt is confirmation that we have received your payment (please check your spam folder and email settings). You can also log into your PayPal or credit card account online to verify payment. Payment at the door will be permitted only should the event not sell out. Our events do sell out, so I recommend you secure your spot online early. If you make payment for less than the current ticketed price displayed without prior correspondence, your RSVP will be removed.
- Select “Yes” (checkmark)
- Enter the number of guests coming and click “Finish Payment on PayPal”
- Verify correct dollar amount for number of people you’re paying for. Modify if appropriate, click “Pay Now” (or “Pay Online Now” button at the top of the event posting)
- If you don’t have a PayPal account, enter your payment information
- If you have a PayPal account, simply log in, and pay as you normally would via PayPal
Please be on time. If you are late (arrive after the start time of 4pm), you risk the possibility of not being able to join us for some or all of the event. I will have a master list of all those that have paid. It’s not required, but I recommend printing out your payment confirmation email as a backup (if you are not on the list, you will be required to show it). When you check-in, your RSVP will be listed under the name of the PayPal or credit card account used to make payment. Typically, this is your LEGAL name as shown on your driver’s license. Sometimes, it may be under a company name if you set up your PayPal or credit card account that way. If you are not sure what it is, please log into your PayPal account (it will say “Welcome, [your account name]” at the top) or your credit card account to find out. If you are RSVP’d under someone else’s payment, please use that name for check-in.
Since this event is paid for in advance, all sales are final unless the event is canceled or rescheduled. If the event is canceled or rescheduled, an UPDATE will be posted at the top of the event posting, and the UPDATE will also be sent as an email to the yes RSVPs. A full refund will be submitted no later than Wednesday of the following week. For rescheduled events, you must let me know within 3 calendar days of the UPDATE email if you are unable to make the new date… no refunds will be given after that time. Send me a message via my Meetup profile (do NOT comment on the event posting). Thanks for understanding. =)
TICKET RESELL / TRANSFER
Similar to a concert ticket or a football game ticket, you are free to sell / transfer your ticket to someone else if you are unable to attend. I suggest posting in the comment box for the event, that you have a ticket for sale / transfer. Work out any payment between yourselves, and have the seller only send me (the organizer) a message through my Meetup profile (do not comment in the comment box of the event posting) letting me know the first AND last name, and Meetup profile link (if a member) of the person taking your spot (please also copy them on the message). To obtain their Meetup profile link, go to their profile from the mobile website or your computer (not the app), and copy & paste the link from your browser. I host a lot of events and groups, so please let me know the event name and group name the ticket transfer is for. You must let me know by the RSVP close time of 1pm on the day of the event.
If you are unable to attend an event, unfortunately a credit towards another event is not possible. Many credit requests are made, and it’d be nearly impossible to track which person has how much credit left from what event to be applied towards which upcoming event or events. It’s especially challenging since the ticket price for most of our events vary. You are free to resell or transfer your ticket to someone else (see the “Ticket Resell / Transfer” section for full details).
Should inclement weather (e.g. snow storm, hurricane, etc.) affect our event, we’ll need to reschedule or cancel. If any one of the following is not available for service due to inclement weather, we’ll need to do so: Metrorail is not running to all stops; Uber (X, SUV, etc.) is not running or available at no more than 2x standard rates; venue(s) are not open. I’ll post an UPDATE to the top of the event posting by 1:30pm on the day of our event with the details.
If you have any special needs (e.g. wheelchair, dietary for events with food included, etc.), let me know in advance (a week or more before the event) and I will do my best to accommodate (message me through my Meetup profile, do NOT comment on the event posting). If you let me know the day of the event, I cannot guarantee that I will be able to help. Thank you for understanding and I appreciate the courtesy of a heads up!
Due to challenges in the past, please do not bring children / babies to this event.