Violent crime in DC is 3 times the national average.
Let’s learn how to realistically defend ourselves using effective, practical techniques. I have recruited 3 great instructors: Camron Kesharvaz, a Krav Maga black belt and certified instructor; Kevin McNeely, who has over 30 years of experience in the grappling arts such as BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu); and Krysten DeBruycker, a Muay Thai and Gracie Jiu Jitsu instructor. Join us for this informative, interactive, and fun 1.5 – 2 hour introductory session and hands on (yes, HANDS ON!) workshop as we achieve realistic training that has application on the street.
- Krav Maga is known for its focus on real-world situations and its extremely efficient and effective counter-attacks. It is a popular self-defense system that consists of a wide combination of techniques sourced from Aikido, Judo, boxing and wrestling along with realistic fight training. Krav Maga has a philosophy emphasizing threat neutralization, and simultaneous defensive and offensive maneuvers.
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a martial art, combat sport, and self-defense system that teaches a smaller person how to successfully defend themselves against a bigger, stronger assailant by using proper technique, leverage, and most notably, taking the fight to the ground, and then applying joint-locks and chokeholds to defeat the opponent.
- Muay Thai is a combat sport of Thailand that uses stand-up striking along with various clinching techniques. This physical and mental discipline is known as “the art of eight limbs” because it is characterized by the combined use of fists, elbows, knees, shins, being associated with a good physical preparation that makes a person very efficient.
We are privileged to have as our instructors:
- Camron Kesharvaz, a Krav Maga black belt and certified instructor. Camron’s martial arts background of nearly 20 years also includes Muay Thai, wrestling, fencing, and a brown belt in Tae Kwon Do.
- Kevin McNeely, a 3rd degree black belt in judo that has received championship medals in judo and Brazilian jiu jitsu. He has over 30 years of experience in grappling arts including judo, Brazilian jiu jitsu and collegiate wrestling.
- Krysten DeBruycker, a Muay Thai and Gracie Jiu Jitsu instructor with a successful competition record in BJJ, Muay Thai, and MMA. She received her Jiu Jitsu brown belt from 8th degree red / black belt Professor Pedro Sauer, one of the most highly regarded BJJ instructors in the world.
- (The school reserves the right to substitute instructors if needed.)
The school is also offering our members that have signed up for this workshop 1 week of FREE self defense classes (a $140 retail value; must be redeemed within 90 days of this event). To sign up, you will need the payment confirmation email for this event (not transferable) and a class pass form (after the event date, send me an email at info [at] goingoutgroup [dot] com and I’ll reply with the form). This is an amazing offer!
All instructors are based out of Pure Performance Martial Arts Club (where we’ll be learning), a hybrid martial arts academy that teaches real-life, combat self-defense skills to students of all ages and ability levels. They have a 4.7 / 5.0 star rating on Google Reviews and a 4.5 / 5.0 star rating on Yelp.
We’ll check in at 5pm, then we’ll learn basic strikes, tactics for improved situational awareness, tactics for multiple attackers, a Krav defense against a weapon, and ground-based defense in the event that an attacker manages to knock us to the ground, starting at 5:30pm. This self defense seminar and social is designed to be a fun event that is meant for people at all levels of fitness and abilities. We will also get a cardio workout in. Bring workout clothes and join us! All necessary equipment will be provided. Showers and locker rooms are available.
After our training session, we’ll head on over to Quincy’s South Bar & Grille (11401 Woodglen Drive), about a 15 minute walk down the street, for food, drinks, and socializing. We may even be able to catch professionals utilizing what we just learned, as they often air MMA fights on their TV screens.
Three experienced instructors and 3 realistic self-defense systems for the price of one, and a free 1 week pass to boot! We’ve got an early bird special for this event of $15 (the price of an entree at many restaurants)! The first 30 paid sign-ups, or those who pay by Sunday, April, 22nd (whichever comes first) get the early bird price! After that, the ticket price will go to $20. To make payment, please follow the steps in the “Payment” section of the event posting. We have a LIMITED number of spots so make sure to RSVP early and make payment to get the early bird price!
Come join us, tell a friend, and let’s get together to learn realistic street self defense techniques! I hope to see you there for this practical, informative, interactive, and fun workshop!
METRO & PARKING
The closest Metro is White Flint (Red line), about a 23 minute walk. I suggest Metro / cabbing / Uber’ing if you can. I also recommend using wmata.com for travel planning. Don’t forget to account for Metro, traffic, and parking delays. If you are driving, you will need to find street parking or a garage. I recommend using parkopedia.com for garage parking planning.
If you are driving, please note the location is not accurately reflected using GPS. As you arrive, please follow these directions. The school is located in the back of Randolph Hills Shopping Center. (1) From Parklawn Drive / Nicholson Lane, turn onto Boiling Brook Parkway then turn off GPS. (2) Turn right at the large red / white Moti’s Market sign (3) Make an immediate right in front of the Florist shop (4) Drive to the top of the hill over the speed bumps (5) The school is next to the Dynamite Agility Center.
Please sign and bring with you the following waiver. Click here. There will be a few extras on site.
PayPal account not required. Please follow the steps below (if payment by smartphone doesn’t work, please try your computer). Your RSVP is not guaranteed without payment, and your email receipt is confirmation that we have received your payment (please check your spam folder and email settings). You can also log into your PayPal or credit card account online to verify payment. Payment at the door will be permitted only should the event not sell out. Our events do sell out, so I recommend you secure your spot online early. If you make payment for less than the current ticketed price displayed without prior correspondence, your RSVP will be removed.
- Select “Yes” under “Are you going?” (or select “Change” RSVP to add more guests if you’ve already purchased ticket(s))
- Enter the number of guests coming and click “Finish RSVP”
- Click “Pay Now” (or “Pay Online Now”) at the top of the event posting near the ticket price per person
- Verify correct dollar amount for number of people you’re paying for. Modify if appropriate, click “Pay Now” or “Check Out” button
- If you don’t have a PayPal account, click “Pay with a Debit or Credit Card”
- If you have a PayPal account, simply log in, and pay as you normally would via PayPal
Please be on time. If you are late (arrive after the start time of 5pm), you risk the possibility of not being able to join us for some or all of the event. I will have a master list of all those that have paid. It’s not required, but I recommend printing out your payment confirmation email as a backup (if you are not on the list, you will be required to show it). When you check-in, your RSVP will be listed under the name of the PayPal or credit card account used to make payment. Typically, this is your LEGAL name as shown on your driver’s license. Sometimes, it may be under a company name if you set up your PayPal or credit card account that way. If you are not sure what it is, please log into your PayPal account (it will say “Welcome, [your account name]” at the top) or your credit card account to find out. If you are RSVP’d under someone else’s payment, please use that name for check-in.
Since this event is paid for in advance, all sales are final unless the event is canceled or rescheduled. If the event is canceled or rescheduled, an UPDATE will be posted at the top of the event posting, and the UPDATE will also be sent as an email to the yes RSVPs. A full refund will be submitted no later than Wednesday of the following week. For rescheduled events, you must let me know within 3 calendar days of the UPDATE email if you are unable to make the new date… no refunds will be given after that time. Thanks for understanding. =)
TICKET RESELL / TRANSFER
Similar to a concert ticket or a football game ticket, you are free to sell / transfer your ticket to someone else if you are unable to attend. I suggest posting in the comment box for the event, that you have a ticket for sale / transfer. Work out any payment between yourselves, and have the seller only send me (the organizer) a message through my Meetup profile (do not comment in the comment box of the event posting) letting me know the first AND last name, and Meetup profile URL (if a member) of the person taking your spot (please also copy them on the message). To obtain their Meetup profile URL, go to their profile from the mobile website or your computer (not the app), and copy & paste the URL from your browser. I host a lot of events and groups, so please let me know the event name and group name the ticket transfer is for. You must let me know by the RSVP close time of 2pm on the day of the event.
Should inclement weather (e.g. snow storm, hurricane, etc.) affect our event, we’ll need to reschedule or cancel. If any one of the following is not available for service due to inclement weather, we’ll need to do so: Metrorail is not running to all stops; Uber (X, SUV, etc.) is not running or available at no more than 2x standard rates; venue(s) are not open. I’ll post an UPDATE to the top of the event posting by 2:30pm on the day of our event with the details.
If you have any special needs (e.g. wheelchair, dietary for events with food included, etc.), let me know in advance (a week or more before the event) and I will do my best to accommodate (message me through my Meetup profile, do NOT comment on the event posting). If you let me know the day of the event, I cannot guarantee that I will be able to help. Thank you for understanding and I appreciate the courtesy of a heads up!